cleaner Jobs in Canada
Cleaner (Bus/LRT) Up to 11 months
City of Edmonton – City Operations is looking for individuals to perform cleaning functions on the interior and/or exterior of transit vehicles, cleaning up the shop, and doing some general-purpose maintenance. Your success will be measured by your ability to achieve timely results in the context of a respectful, inclusive and service-minded style.
We are currently hiring cleaners for both our Transit Fleet Maintenance and LRT, and you may be required to perform either role due to staffing and training requirements.
The Cleaner supports our efforts in the prevention of COVID-19 as enhanced cleaning and disinfecting continues to be a critical priority. For more information, click on this link
With a focus on the City of Edmonton’s Cultural Commitments to Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, you will:
- Clean interior of transit vehicles including floor area, driver’s compartment, sweeping and mopping, disinfecting, handrails, and seats, emptying garbage, reporting damage, turning in lost and found items daily
- Perform periodic major cleaning of interior walls, windows, ceilings, ledges, seats, destination signs and floors of transit vehicles by hand or using mechanical equipment
- Remove marks, stains and materials such as gum, graffiti and tar from the interior and/or exterior of transit vehicles
- Clean interior windows using spray cleaners and paper towels; maintains a record of vehicles washed
- Sweep shop floors by hand or through use of mechanical sweeper; clean up oil spills; wash shop walls and floors using various cleaners and detergents; paint lines in the shop
- Clean snow and ice from doorways
- Pressure wash Transit vehicles
- Perform other related duties as required which may include cleaning of the garage
- Completion of Grade 10 or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Some cleaning experience is required
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions in a mechanical and high-risk safety environment as well as in the use of various cleaning agents and chemicals
- Proven ability to work in a fast past environment
- Ability to understand, communicate in, read and write English at a level needed to meet job-related task and safety requirements
- Demonstrated work ethic and a willingness/ability to learn on the job and update skills
- Committed to safety using occupational health and safety and environmental standards and procedures and knowledge of hazards and safety precautions in a mechanical environment using various cleaning agents and chemicals
- Ability to work in an environment which may include heat, cold, wet, dust, noise, and diesel exhaust fumes
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position and related shift work
- Ability to wear a face mask for an extended period of time
- Compliance with the City of Edmonton’s safety standards for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is the requirement for this position
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in the context of a respectful, inclusive and service-minded style
- Passing a physical strength evaluation (Functional Ability Recruitment Evaluation test – F.A.R.E.) and a pre-employment City medical examination is a requirement of this position
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (or provincial equivalent). Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver’s permit is a requirement of this position. Graduated driver’s licenses (GDL) are not acceptable
- Industrial, warehouse or equipment, mechanical/automotive shop environment or car detailing experience
- Current Standard First Aid
- Basic computer skills with an ability to accurately enter data and information into a computer
- Possession of Air Brake Endorsement (Q)
At the City of Edmonton – City Operations, we strive to help our people achieve their professional and personal goals through an inclusive environment that values everyone’s contributions, appreciates the diversity of thought, fosters growth and provides continuous opportunities for development.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
This posting is for up to 80 temporary full-time positions for up to 11-months.
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week, in an operation that runs 24 hours/day, 7 days a week. Hours of work may be subject to the terms and conditions of the variable hours work program.
Salary: $21.222 – $24.990 (Hourly)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: PS/MJB
Classification Title : Bus Cleaner
Posting Date : Aug 4, 2020
Closing Date : Aug 14, 2020, 11:59:00 P.M. (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to) : 80 – Temporary Full-time
Union : ATU 569
Department : City Operations
Work Location(s) :
Various Transit Garages
Labourers & Equipment Operators
Various Transit Garages (City Wide)